Friday, July 9, 2010

The Sound of Paper: Starting From Scratch by Julia Cameron

Julia has written her book as she was in two places during two seasons--
green spring New York and arid summer New Mexico.

She states that there are 3 life skills that she uses as a writer. If she is in New York but longs for New Mexico, these help her reconnect with New York. If she returns to New Mexico, but is thinking about the sophistication of New York, these skills get her back in touch with New Mexico.

1. Handwrite 3 pages every morning, about anything and everything to PRIORITIZE THE DAY.
2. Take yourself once a week on a festive outing called an Artist Date. This is a place to "romance" yourself, to indulge in a mystery. It could be a museum, a fancy shoe store, a new park, a new experience.
3. A twenty minute walk at least 3 times a week, but can be more frequently, to nudge habitual thinking and link mind and body.

I seem to have picked up these 3 habits since my early 20's and the writing prompts at each chapter's end are in sinc with my "own life from scratch."

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea of romancing myself as a writer! Thank you for writing about this because I can tell that this is something I need to concentrate on for myself.

    ReplyDelete