Friday, July 16, 2010

Harper The Writer's Toolbox

First, again I recognized names like Nancie Atwell and Linda Rief--something I could not have done two weeks ago.

Second, I am so relieved to find someone who actually compared Writer's Workshop and Toolbox to an actual toolbox. Since I married a farmer, I have had to learn all about toolboxes. I have had to learn to know which tool was used for which purpose and heaven help you if you weren't able to supply the appropriate tool. I have learned to keep the tools in good working order and to keep the lid closed and locked so that the tools wouldn't fall out and get lost.

I liked the images attached to each of the tools: question is question mark, thought shot is thought bubble, explode a moment is a stick of dynamite, snapshot is a camera. Also I am drawn to the idea of actually having objects like tools to take out and put in a tool chest. I think this could have some variations.

The suggestion of a colored highlighter for each tool to mark the corresponding part of a journal writing is helpful and practical. I an easily see myself using this.
Also to think of the four equal fourths representing the four tools and making sure all are about equal. Very concrete, visual and easily applied.

1 comment:

  1. These ideas are very concrete, visual, and easily applied. I know you have ample opportunities to put these into practice when you work in classrooms next year.

    ReplyDelete