Sunday, July 18, 2010

Calkins Chapter 14 learning to Confer

This last week led me to a new feeling of freedom about "conferencing" with myself and then our son.

I realized that I had always felt obligated to accept all criticism or improvements in a paper. I then in turn felt that I was equally obligated to carefully edit and "correct" students' papers as I had been taught, and as I had thought I was supplosed to help children.

When I tried this "its your paper, you red it" with my family, it was amazing how our son became more animated. He read his job application, told me where the problems were and then was ready to go the next round on his own.

He especially like the leniency part, which meant that he didn't have to accept all input, but only that which felt like his. That liberated him.

4 pairs of lenses with glasses. I could get glasses from the dime store and actually put them on. Might be a good way to remind me and students what we are doing that day.

content glssses, Cream
design glasses dragon orange
process glasses green
assessment glasses aqua

I can see this making a difference not only in the classroom but in our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment