Thursday, July 8, 2010

Britton

When I wrote my wrote my personal statement for taking this class, I included that I needed to learn a philophy or philosophies of teaching writing.

As a result of reading first Moffat and then Britton, I am beginning to get the beginnings of that foundation. I am being stretched past my comfort zone, but that is good.

To have to think about Britton's 3 types of writing, expressive to transactional or poetic was a new landscape for me. I have a lot to chew on. Not sure yet how I learn and attain knowledge, but writing this a start.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to push you a little, Virginia, and ask you to think about how this works for you. Perhaps crafting a summary of what you understand about this article would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a baby begins to develop speech, first there are sounds, then words, then sentences. The child wants to communicate and elicit response from those around. This first speech becomes the basis for the initial writing. It is expressive, personal and me-centered. This talk which is mostly about self and personal lends itself to expressive writing.
    When there is a need to accomplish something with writing, to inform about facts or information, often speech there is a demand for this speech. This type of speech which must accomplish something or get something done leads to writing which is transactional. It informs, advices persuades and has an audience. transactional writing can be updated, revised to add new knowledge. ie. A medical text

    From the internal expressive can emerge a third types of language. This is to entertain, to enjoy. Once written it is complete in itself. It is for pleasure and is not revised--ie.
    Shakespeare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good response on your comment Virginia. I can tell you are understanding Britton more and more.

    ReplyDelete